1. Burn more calories than you consume. If this makes you go: “D-uuuh!!”, snap out of it and consider that this elementary aspect of dieting excapes countless clueless — and doomed — dieters. Tabloids may claim to have the “miracle foods” that’ll allow you to eat like a pig and have the pounds melt off, but it’s a load.
2. Establish your base metabolism, and set a target calorie goal approx. 500 calories below it. I wrote an article dedicated to establishing your metabolism earlier, so look it up in the article archive if you need a refresher.
3. Keep an honest log. Make estimates of how many calories you stuff yourself with every meal and tally up the total to make sure you stay within your target calorie goal. Convenient “mistakes,” under-estimates and forgetfulness allows you to eat more now, but you’re defeating the whole point of dieting.
4. Actively choose good sources of fat. This may sound like stupid advice — shouldn’t you AVOID fat when dieting? Well, yes and no. You have to keep consuming some fat, just not going overboard. Avoid butter, bacon, whole milk, coconuts and such like the plague. Instead, make use of olive oil (virgin) and fatty fish. Peanut butter is an interesting topic. I used to put it in the same category as the “bad” fats. It belongs there, packing saturated fat as well as artery-clogging trans fatty acids. However, based on highly unscientific testimonies by others as well as personal experience, it seems like a handful of peanuts once in a while when dieting can do wonders in keeping energy levels up while not wreaking havoc with your overall diet. Strange and illogical? You betcha. But it just so happens to work anyway, kind of like bumblebees flying though they technically shouldn’t be able to.
5. Eat small but frequent meals throughout the day. You’ve heard it a million times, I’m sure, but facts remain: In order to keep an even level of blood sugar, you have to eat small, balanced meals.
6. Don’t go wimpy on the weight training. When you diet, you’re in the danger zone for losing muscle mass most of the time. To avoid this, keeping pumping iron, and be diligent about it!
7. Avoid alcohol. Given that barbeque-season is upon us, this can be tough when your friends bring out the ice-cold brewskis. The solution is simple: Only associate with other bodybuilders, so you at least won’t be the lone dweeb sipping a diet soda! For those of you who have the ridiculous idea that your life should not revolve around bodybuilding: Snap out of it.
8. Do cardio in moderation. Doing 45 mins on the stairmaster every day is a great way to get the pounds off quicker. 2 hours is not so great, since you’re bound to start losing muscle mass. When and how much is individual (and depending on what you’ve had to eat earlier in the day) but avoid cardio sessions in excess of 1 hour. If you need the punishment do one session in the morning and one in the evening. Also remember to stay in the 65%-70% heart rate zone for optimal fat burn.
9. Schedule “cheating” days to stay sane. Dieting is no fun. No matter how gung-ho and motivated you are when you start out, you’ll have days when everything is darkness and the world is out to get you. Make sure to get a treat once a week on a set day (Saturday is good) as it gives you something to look forward to. A juicy burger is fatty and calorie-dense, but if you prepare by doing extra cardio for three days in advance you’ll come in right on target for the week.
10. Don’t be afraid of soy. I used to avoid fake-meat products, but having been married to a vegetarian for 3+ years I’ve tried soy hot dogs, burgers, chicken patties, even riblets that taste just like the real thing. And here’s the kicker: Soy products is mostly protein! Granted, soy protein is not the highest quality out there, but if you drink a glass of milk or have some other high-quality protein source with it you can bump up the overall quality in a hurry. Besides, soy has a number of great health benefits when eaten in moderation and contains very little fat.
Apply These Tips To Your Weight Loss Plans
Many find the thought of undertaking a weight loss program to be extremely daunting. Unfortunately, this preconception most often leads to inaction. In reality, losing weight does not have to be an overly taxing process; it can be easy and manageable if done the right way. This article strives to provide tips for losing weight and making the whole process more fruitful and enjoyable.
Add a little more protein to your diet to stop you from eating any junk food in between meals. A good way to do that is to eat a part-skim mozzarella cheese stick, a boiled egg, or a few nuts after each and every meal and you will feel fuller and snack less.
Instead of consuming some of the calorie packed dips that are out on the market, choose a vegetable bean dip instead. This will go a long way in decreasing the amount of fat that you put into your body, and it also serves as a delicious snack for your weight loss regimen.
Oats are a great food to eat in the morning. If you eat a cup of oatmeal in the morning, you will be less likely to gorge on unhealthy foods in the afternoon. Start your day off with a hearty bowl of oats to jump-start your healthy day.
For people who have never enjoyed running, but really want to, there is a very interesting program. The program is called Couch to 5k and it helps someone who is completely inactive prepare their body and mind to run for 30 minutes in just 8 weeks. So far it has had very good reviews.
In order to help control your hunger when losing weight, try drinking a glass of water before each meal. This helps fill your stomach, leaving less room for food and eliminating the temptation to overeat. Water is also essential in helping to move food and nutrients through your digestive system.
If you are looking to lose some weight a great tip is to make the foods you already love a little healthier. Rather than avoiding your favorite dishes altogether, find ways to make those dishes a little lighter. For example, try low fat ice cream, or pizza with reduced fat cheese.
Choose one place in your home to eat. The area you choose should only be used for eating and nothing else. A great choice is the dining room table. The concept behind this is that you will associate this certain spot with eating, and you will not want to eat all over the house.
Some people believe that if you eat less than at least three meals a day you’ll lose weight, but that’s not the case. Eating less then what you normally should intake for your body is actually bad for your body. You need to eat enough so your body can function properly, just limit yourself to not over eating. You also need to watch the type of food you eat, instead of eating chips for a snack have some fruit. What you eat directly takes a toll on your body type, so be sure to eat as healthy as you can.
As this article shows, there are many ways to approach losing weight in order to make the process less daunting. Embracing the task is the first step to success. By using these tips, weight loss will be a more enjoyable process that people will no longer resist but rather adopt and maintain until the final target is reached.